Monday, August 2, 2010

The Formative Days...

Several small items we wanted to address...

I anticipate establishing a separate account for FU this week and at that point we'll be ready to offer ad space both on the site and in the periodical.  I've seen this discussed here and there with great derision, but my take is that if it is an ad our readers are likely to be interested in, then it makes sense.  Once we incorporate as a nonprofit, I'd like to open to both paid services like ad space & tax deductible donations.  We'll have the account this week, and I'll take donations as soon as we do, but it won't be tax deductible at this point.  If we received 6 or more donations of either $150 or $250 (semi & pro rates for a 5k story) we'll go out on a leap of faith and pay those rates for issue #1, the faith coming in that we'll be able to do the same for issue #2 and not drop back to the stated token rate.  And to be clear: 6 or more donations of $150 or more gets us to .03 per word for issue #1 subs.  6 or more donations of $250 (or the equivalent amount: dream big, right?) gets us to .05 cents per word for issue #1.

In summary: we'll open to donations later this week... they'll not be tax deductible (yet).  Our rate remains $33 per story, flat rate, but if our community rises up in what appears a Goliath act of sponsorship, the writers will reap the rewards as noted above.

And even if we fall short of these goals, any funds collected but not used to pay for stories & art we will apply to the incorporation process.  I have two non-profit people that I am meeting with to ensure we do this right, and I've reached out to several other small press pros for input and guidance.  We will need board members at some point in this process and if you are reading this and thinking 'these guys need ME' then drop us an email.  You could be right.  You could be crazy.  And it just might be a...

Billy Joel moment, sorry.

------------------------------------

I'm burying this deep in this post because I have some trepidation drawing too much attention to this particular man behind the curtain...


  • A few asked, so here you go: my take on small press and the $$$.
  • Thoughts on writing short stories.  It is interesting to me as I read through this guest post how many of the sentences are wanting for further editing.  It goes to show that you can never be too careful.  Poor sentence structures aside, this might be worthwhile.  Do keep in mind that no rule is such that it should never be broken.  My suggestions are heuristics, only.
  • Rejecting stories is no fun (nor being rejected).  Rejecting stories that are good but not quite right for the limited slots we have: downright nauseating.  Rejecting stories that are good and by writers I know or am otherwise associated with: you get the idea.  We, too, are writers and we 'get it'.  So, for what it's worth, a tool to help you track and place that story... Sonar3.  It works on Linux, Mac, & Windows, and is one of the best programs I've stumbled across.  And it's free.